CFL RELEASES 2019 SCHEDULE
The Saskatchewan Roughriders are pleased to announce the Canadian Football League has released its complete 2019 schedule.
This year’s schedule has the Roughriders opening their regular season on the road as the team plays Thursday, June 13th in Hamilton and again the next week in Ottawa on Thursday, June 20th.
The regular-season home opener will see the Riders host the Toronto Argonauts on Canada Day – Monday, July 1st – at 5:00PM.
“It is an exciting day for football fans in Saskatchewan and throughout Canada as we announce the 2019 CFL schedule,” stated Roughriders President and CEO Craig Reynolds. “We are happy with the way the schedule has unfolded and our fans should look forward to enjoying eight games at Mosaic Stadium during the summer months.”
The Roughriders’ regular-season home schedule has them playing at Mosaic Stadium on Monday (one game), Thursday (one game), Saturday (six games) and Sunday (one game). Each team will visit Regina once, with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers being the only team to visit twice.
The Roughriders’ away schedule has them playing on the road on Thursday (two games), Friday (three games) and Saturday (four games). They will visit each team once with a trip to B.C. a second time.
Once again the Roughriders will host the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the traditional Labour Day Classic on Sunday, September 1st for a 1:00PM kickoff.
“We want to congratulate the CFL office and the other eight teams across the league for working diligently to get the schedule released in mid-December again this year,” Reynolds added. “It is a complicated process, but it is important for fans to be able to plan and begin looking forward to the 2019 season.”
Fans interested in purchasing season tickets can visit Riderville.com for more information. The season ticket renewal deadline is December 21st at 5:00PM.
ROUGHRIDER SCHEDULE NOTABLES:
- The Green and White will showcase the 2019 hopefuls in their first pre-season game on Friday, May 31st when they visit the Calgary Stampeders. The following week the Riders will host the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in their final pre-season match-up on Thursday, June 6th at 7:00pm.
- The Riders open the regular season on the road for the fourth time in the last 10 seasons, winning two of those previous three contests.
- The regular-season opener will be on Thursday, June 13th as the Riders visit the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. It will be the fourth time in franchise history the Riders will open in Hamilton. The Green and White won in 2012, while dropping openers in Hamilton in 1978 and 1972.
- The Riders will stay out East for game two of the regular season on Thursday, June 20th in Ottawa. It is the first time since 1999 that the Riders will open the regular season with two road games.
- The home opener at Mosaic Stadium will be Monday, July 1st at 5:00pm versus the Toronto Argonauts. This is the seventh time the Riders have been scheduled to open the home portion of their schedule versus Toronto. The Riders carry a 3-3 record in the six previous contests, winning in 2018, 1998 and 1972 while suffering losses in 2016, 2000 and 1984.
- The Roughriders have a split of five home games and four away games in the first half versus four home and five away in the back nine.
- They will play each of the other eight teams at home and away once with Winnipeg making an additional trip to Saskatchewan, and the Riders will make a second trip to B.C. to fill the 18-game regular season.
- The team will play three Thursday night games, including one at home – August 1st vs. Hamilton.
- The team will have its first of three byes during week five with the latter two falling on week 10 and 15 respectively.
- The 55th annual Labour Day Classic will be played Sunday, September 1st at 1:00pm. The Riders have won 13 of the last 14 matchups and hold a 36-18 advantage through the first 54 meetings.
- The Riders have back-to-back games at home in week three and four (and again week six following the bye) and again in week 11 and 12. The team will play back-to-back on the road in week one and two, then three consecutive away on weeks 18, 19 and 20.