Rider Reading Month
Focused on promoting literacy in the province, the Club launched Rider Reading Month in March 2015.
Teachers were asked to register their class online and complete a reading requirement of 15 minutes per day throughout the month of March. Once the reading requirement had been reached each class is entered in a random draw where ten lucky schools will win a visit from Rider players.
In its first year Rider Reading Month saw over 648 participants register with a total of 14,347 students taking part in the reading requirement.
Congratulations to all of our participating classrooms on completing the 2017 Rider Reading Month program! For the third consecutive year, the Rider Reading Month challenge has been completed by over 10,000 students across Saskatchewan and we have great teachers across Saskatchewan to thank. We received dozens of stories of creative ways that teachers like yourself have encouraged literacy skill development throughout the month of March and Rider Nation has sent along many messages of support for your efforts through our various social media accounts.
Here are some interesting stats about the 3rd Annual Rider Reading Month program:
– 85 towns included across Saskatchewan
– 178 participating schools
– 376 participating classrooms
– 10,436 participating students
And now, we’re proud to announce our 2017 Rider Reading Month Player Ambassador as well as our winning schools that will be receiving player visits as a result of our random draw.
So, without further delay, here are our winning classrooms who completed the 2017 Rider Reading Month program:
– W.S. Hawrylak School – Regina, SK – Shannon Brown’s Grade 3 class
– Judge Bryant School – Regina, SK – Jennifer Desjarlais’s Grade 4/5 class
– Valley Manor School – Martensville, SK – Delphine Fehr’s Grade 1 class
– Emerald Ridge School – White City, SK – Sandra Gray’s Grade 3 class
– St. Francis School – Prince Albert, SK – Sheila Holash’s Grade 8 class
– Hague Elementary School – Hague, SK – Nicole Lavallee’s Grade 3 class
– Yorkdale Elementary School – Yorkton, SK – Christa Schmelinsky’s Grade 5 class
– Herbert School – Herbert, SK – Sheryl Siemens’s Grade 4/5 class
– Cardinal Leger School– Saskatoon, SK – Carla Thorson’s Kindergarten class
– Dundurn Elementary School – Dundurn, SK – Kirsten Tucker’s Grade 5 class
These schools can look forward to a visit from our Rider Reading Month Player Ambassador for the 2017 season, who was the 1st overall pick in the 2016 CFL Draft, offensive lineman Josiah St. John. Josiah will be taking the lead on all Rider Reading Month player visits this year and he is looking forward to travelling across the province to spend time with our winning schools.